Using MailScanner with Trend Micro Interscan Viruswall for SMB 6.0

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 14:36:52 IST 2006

On 12/09/06, Zenith Tang <zenith.tang at gmail.com> wrote:

> In SMB ver 5.0, the successful scan look like below, but the result in SMB
> 6.0 is different. It just showed the message "Scan thread started". It seems
> that the method for virus scanning changed.
>
> #/usr/lib/MailScanner/trend-wrapper /opt/trend/isvw
> /tmp/virus
>
> Virus Scanner v3.1, VSAPI v8.100-1002
> Trend Micro Inc. 1996,1997
>         Pattern version 743
>         Pattern number 130877
> Configuration: -e'{*
> Directory /tmp/virus
>         /tmp/virus/virZGAOsay4F
> *** Scan error -92, file /tmp/virus/virZGAOsay4F
> *** Found virus WORM_BAGLE.GEN-3 in file /tmp/virus/virZGAOsay4F
>

> ==============================
> Directory:
>         Searched : 1
> File:
>         Searched : 1
>             Scan : 1
>         Infected : 1
>         Infected : 1(Include files been compressed)
> Time:
>         Start : 9/12/06 15:54:48
>          Stop : 9/12/06 15:54:48
>          Used : 00:00

Yes, well.... I was thinking more of what it looks like when run by
itself, not through the wrapper.

Anyway, I can now confirm that this is the wrong product.
I repeat: This is the wrong product, to use with MailScanner.

This is a webified Mail (SMTP), Web (HTTP) and FTP _proxy server_. One
could say that it in many ways is a replacement for MailScanner (with
a less complete feature set, in regard to email, and more complete in
another, since it handles web and ftp too).

The product it has replaced might have contained the on-demand command
line scanner, but this one doesn't.
The isvw-scan you've found is the "background scanning server" that
isvw-http, isvw-ftp and isvw-smtp use to perform their scans (kind of
like how spamc/spamd works).

How I know? Well, I tricked the installer a bit, so that it deigned to
install on my Mandriva 2006.0 testbed... And from there on, it's just
a question of using ones eyes:-):-).

Look at the fileserver package I mentioned before... That might be the
one to use. I haven't confirmed that though (yet!:-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn