Spamcop.net RBL blocking emails by mistake?

John Rudd jrudd at ucsc.edu
Sat Sep 9 06:18:03 IST 2006

How else do the spamtraps receive mail except by having the email
address out there?  It gets out _somehow_.  Seeded some how, harvested
by dictionary attacks, etc..  And once it has been obtained by a
spammer, that address can then show up as a return-path in a message.

Obviously there's no way to know which addresses being responded to are
spamtraps or not, but there's no other explanation for spamcop saying
we sent spam to their spamtrap.  There's exactly two explanations:

1) one of our students just happens to know the spamtrap address and
set their email to forward there instead of their yahoo account (so
unlikely that the probability is vanishingly low)

2) a spamtrap showed up in the return-path of some message, and got
replied to in a vacation message (not at all an unreasonable
possibility, given that the addresses _are_ out there).

There aren't any other mechanisms that would have our mail servers
sending a message to a spamtrap.  We don't send announcements outside
of our campus (except via local accounts that forward to an outside
address).  We don't buy address lists from anyone, etc.

And, yes, there are many things I don't know.

Things I do know for sure:

- there aren't any other explanations for what happened, because no
other explanations fit our situation,

- autoresponders aren't evil,

- spamcop is run by morons.