Spamcop.net RBL blocking emails by mistake?

Res res at ausics.net
Sun Sep 10 09:05:08 IST 2006

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, John Rudd wrote:

> How else do the spamtraps receive mail except by having the email address out
> there?  It gets out _somehow_.  Seeded some how, harvested by dictionary
> attacks, etc..  And once it has been obtained by a spammer, that address can
> then show up as a return-path in a message.

correct, i have had this out with SC before I was told of their system
tests and im satisfied its a good idea, i dont know how much of it is
general public info, but im sure those that have a real need to know can
ask them

> Obviously there's no way to know which addresses being responded to are
> spamtraps or not, but there's no other explanation for spamcop saying we sent
> spam to their spamtrap.  There's exactly two explanations:
>
> 1) one of our students just happens to know the spamtrap address and set
> their email to forward there instead of their yahoo account (so unlikely that
> the probability is vanishingly low)
>
> 2) a spamtrap showed up in the return-path of some message, and got replied
> to in a vacation message (not at all an unreasonable possibility, given that
> the addresses _are_ out there).

So again you in  an EDU establishment can say for 110% these students are
not virus proned, I have learnt one thing about EDU, especialy in this
country, they have the most lapsed security enforcement and policies
EDU institutions are the worse in my 14 plus year experience.

> There aren't any other mechanisms that would have our mail servers sending a

so its completely absolutely impossible for a student to have an infected
pc and do this you will state this on your life would you, because you
seem to look for and acert blame everywhere else but your students, you
appear to not even entertain the idea, this is pure arrogance and tends to
tell me it was justified.

--
Regards
Res

"Just a world that we all must share, it's not enough just to stand and
stare, is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away" - Floyd