Anyone using zen.spamhaus.org?

Dennis Willson taz at taz-mania.com
Wed Sep 6 23:25:30 IST 2006

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 07:45:19 +1000 (EST)
  Res <res at ausics.net> wrote:

>>>ummm those figures are strange, you have 12-15% of clean mail
>>>accepting
>>>all, but yet 75-80% on all accepted with greylisting.. that doesnt
>>>compute,
>
>>It made sense to me.  Greylisting should reduce the amount
>>of spam.  Thus the amount of ham (things that are "accepted")
>>should go up as a percentage of total mail (that reaches
>>MailScanner).
>
>Ok I know it was late when i posted that, and its early now and im
>just sitting down to my first coffee of the day, but... does this
>still not
>mean SA is still missing 60% or so of spam, greylistd or not, if its
>spam SA would/should have picked it up regardless, just being
>greylisted meant it had to wait a bit of time before marking it as
>spam rather than instantly.

A large number of the Spam sending computers never retry. They don't
have the time or queue capacity to store email for retry so any error
including temp errors cause them to give up and move on to the next
email in their list. So SA would never get a chance to scan something
that was never received... Therefore if you use Greylisting the
percentage of Spam to Ham changes. A lot more of the email making it
to SA is real since a large amount of the Spam never made it by the
Greylisting.

>--
>Cheers
>Res
>
>"Just a world that we all must share, it's not enough just to stand
>and
>stare, is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away" -
>Floyd
>

>--
>
>Before posting, read http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting

Dennis Willson

taz at taz-mania.com
http://www.taz-mania.com

Ham: ka6lsw
Scuba: Rescue Diver, EANx, Wreck, Night, Alt, Equip, UW Photographer,
Gas Blender

Owner: Kepnet Internet Services

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a nice looking and well preserved body, but rather
to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"