Anyone using zen.spamhaus.org?

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Wed Sep 6 00:10:03 IST 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Res wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, John Rudd wrote:

>>> The benefit of MS versus MTA is that the mail is
>>> quarantined so can be released if the RBLs have got it wrong.

>> Ok, I can admit that I hadn't considered that aspect at all (because I
>> don't

> RBL's first came about to stop waste of bandwith by spamming scumbags drop em
> dead in the water, by use in MS it kind of defeats the purpose
>
> if typically you get 100K rejects at MTA per day, thats 100K messages less
> you have to process

Whether it defeats the purpose depends on what the purpose is.
Is it a tool to save the bandwidth of accepting spam in the
first place?  Or is it a source of information for the process
of classifying messages as spam/ham?  It's whichever you want
it to be.

And what you want depends on the cost of receiving and
scanning messages and whether you're willing to pay that cost.
And that, in turn, depends on the resources (server hardware
and bandwidth) available have versus the consequences of knowing
that you've discarded/refused when you've had false positives.

   - Logan