Anyone using zen.spamhaus.org?

Res res at ausics.net
Wed Sep 6 05:43:17 IST 2006

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Logan Shaw wrote:

> Whether it defeats the purpose depends on what the purpose is.

The purpose is made up of and in the order of...

Protecting users as much as possible from privacy invaders
Lessen the load as much as possible on the SMTP servers
Bandwith usage/costs

Why should anyone go out and spend say 10K on another basic server to
handle the extra load? nobody can ever tell me why I should do that,
its always "get more or better hardware so S.A can work better" er no
sorry, ill reduce the loading on the existing gear by preventing their
trash from even trying to occupy any more of my resources.

> and bandwidth) available have versus the consequences of knowing
> that you've discarded/refused when you've had false positives.

I've not yet once in all the years of use of RBL's, like back to when maps
was the in and only thing (and free) ever seen an IP wrongfully blocked.

If that scumbag shares a colo with 999 other hosts who are doing nothing
wrong, it is up to the admins of the zone to get off their lazy useless
asses and deal with the problem makers, most times (but admittedly not all)
an IP only gets in a list because system admins ignore complaints and
fail to deal with them for fear of losing that customer, their actions of
ignoring it, now places them at risk of instead of losing the 1 idiot,
they risk losing the other 999 innocent parties whos mail is blocked
instead.

I also operate in similar way with the sendmail and qmail access
files, if we complain about spammers and a network fails to act after
multiple complaints then ill take them out. For instance, I currently have
RHS blocking on  telusplanet.net, comcast.net and hinet.net, 3 i gather
very large international ISP's. They prolly care about this as much as i
do now but at least my users wont see much if any of their trash :)

--
Cheers
Res

"Just a world that we all must share, it's not enough just to stand and
stare, is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away" - Floyd