Question

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Tue Sep 5 19:54:14 IST 2006

Rob Poe wrote:
>> I have a client with an older linux box running MailScanner and it's just being crushed ... with spam....
>>
>> It's a Celeron 2.0 ghz / 512mb ram / dual IDE disk
>>
>>  10:55:02  up 19:05,  1 user,  load average: 6.23, 4.56, 4.04
>
>> Seeing things like this:  Sep  5 10:56:12 mail MailScanner[25809]: Batch processed in 61.70 seconds
>>
>> I've tried 5, 3 and now 2 MS children.
>>

>> What does 'free' report? Using swap? Increase MS children up to 4 or 5
>> until they start using swap, or add ram if they are already swapping.
>
>             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> Mem:        479644     447512      32132          0      93536     161792
> -/+ buffers/cache:     192184     287460
> Swap:      2112440       4356    2108084

Looks like you are pushing it already at 2 children. More memory would
help. You should be able to run 4 MS processes with a GB of ram.

What about the network tests in SA? Are they running slowly? Are you
getting SA timeouts too? You could run 'spamassassin -D dns < /dev/null'
to get the list of rbls that SA is using and test them individually to
see if one of them is timing out? It would be nice if there was a script
for diagnosing MailScanner slowness. There are a lot of things that can
cause it, but most are pretty obvious - AFTER you find them. :-)

Ken A.
Pacific.Net