SMTP problem

Res res at ausics.net
Mon Oct 16 08:42:06 IST 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, G. Armour Van Horn wrote:

> Two weeks ago one of my servers was compromised and I had to rebuild it
> from the ground up. I jumped a couple of versions, installing Fedora
> Core 5. I dragged over my previous MailScanner directory and installed
> MailScanner 4.55-10.3.
>
> I was having some odd problems with not several SMTP servers failing to
> deliver mail, so after a couple of days of head scratching and with some
> help here on the list I switched to Postfix. The text of the error
> messages changed, but essentially the same servers would initiate an
> SMTP session and then never close it.
>
> Fearing that I may have caused some problems due to my unfamiliarity
> with Postfix I switched back to Sendmail, but after many hours of
> fighting the problem I still can't receive mail from several important
> mail servers. That is, from several servers that are important to users
> on the system.
>
> I'm pretty sure this isn't actually a MailScanner issue, but I figure
> that there are quite a few experts here, so I'd appreciate it if anyone
> has any idea of what I should be looking at. Below are four lines from
> maillog, each pair of lines indicate a message that never arrived. Any
> suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Van
>

> Oct 15 20:50:27 vanquish sendmail[13915]: k9G2oQu2013915: timeout
> waiting for input from mail.networksolutionsemail.com during server cmd read
> Oct 15 20:50:27 vanquish sendmail[13915]: k9G2oQu2013915:
> mail.networksolutionsemail.com [205.178.146.50] did not issue
> MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

I wish i could be so lucky as to have my MTA fail mail from those
incompetant uncooperative @$$wipes at networksolutions...

Have you recently made changes to any firewall rules?
You are not denying icmp frag pkts are you?

if not, I doubt this is your propblem to fix.

--
Cheers
Res

"Just a world that we all must share, it's not enough just to stand and
stare, is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away" - Floyd