SMTP problem

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Mon Oct 16 21:30:11 IST 2006

Res wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, G. Armour Van Horn wrote:
>
>> Two weeks ago one of my servers was compromised and I had to rebuild it
>> from the ground up. I jumped a couple of versions, installing Fedora
>> Core 5. I dragged over my previous MailScanner directory and installed
>> MailScanner 4.55-10.3.
>>
>> I was having some odd problems with not several SMTP servers failing to
>> deliver mail, so after a couple of days of head scratching and with some
>> help here on the list I switched to Postfix. The text of the error
>> messages changed, but essentially the same servers would initiate an
>> SMTP session and then never close it.
>>
>> Fearing that I may have caused some problems due to my unfamiliarity
>> with Postfix I switched back to Sendmail, but after many hours of
>> fighting the problem I still can't receive mail from several important
>> mail servers. That is, from several servers that are important to users
>> on the system.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure this isn't actually a MailScanner issue, but I figure
>> that there are quite a few experts here, so I'd appreciate it if anyone
>> has any idea of what I should be looking at. Below are four lines from
>> maillog, each pair of lines indicate a message that never arrived. Any
>> suggestions would be welcome.
>>
>> Van
>>

>> Oct 15 20:50:27 vanquish sendmail[13915]: k9G2oQu2013915: timeout
>> waiting for input from mail.networksolutionsemail.com during server
>> cmd read
>> Oct 15 20:50:27 vanquish sendmail[13915]: k9G2oQu2013915:
>> mail.networksolutionsemail.com [205.178.146.50] did not issue
>> MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA
>

> I wish i could be so lucky as to have my MTA fail mail from those
> incompetant uncooperative @$$wipes at networksolutions...
>
> Have you recently made changes to any firewall rules?
> You are not denying icmp frag pkts are you?
>
> if not, I doubt this is your propblem to fix.

It's my problem to fix because important mail is not getting through,
and there actually is some of that which comes through the NetSol
machine which handles mail redirection.

No change in firewall rules during this incident, and the other machines
behind the same firewall are not having the problem. Mail was running
fine before my sudden forced rebuild, and still is for quite a few hosts.

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/