SMTP problem

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Mon Oct 16 08:04:39 IST 2006

Two weeks ago one of my servers was compromised and I had to rebuild it
from the ground up. I jumped a couple of versions, installing Fedora
Core 5. I dragged over my previous MailScanner directory and installed
MailScanner 4.55-10.3.

I was having some odd problems with not several SMTP servers failing to
deliver mail, so after a couple of days of head scratching and with some
help here on the list I switched to Postfix. The text of the error
messages changed, but essentially the same servers would initiate an
SMTP session and then never close it.

Fearing that I may have caused some problems due to my unfamiliarity
with Postfix I switched back to Sendmail, but after many hours of
fighting the problem I still can't receive mail from several important
mail servers. That is, from several servers that are important to users
on the system.

I'm pretty sure this isn't actually a MailScanner issue, but I figure
that there are quite a few experts here, so I'd appreciate it if anyone
has any idea of what I should be looking at. Below are four lines from
maillog, each pair of lines indicate a message that never arrived. Any
suggestions would be welcome.

Van

Oct 15 20:50:27 vanquish sendmail[13915]: k9G2oQu2013915: timeout
waiting for input from mail.networksolutionsemail.com during server cmd read
Oct 15 20:50:27 vanquish sendmail[13915]: k9G2oQu2013915:
mail.networksolutionsemail.com [205.178.146.50] did not issue
MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

Oct 15 21:03:43 vanquish sendmail[14141]: k9G33hTX014141: timeout
waiting for input from mailout.whidbey.net during server cmd read
Oct 15 21:03:43 vanquish sendmail[14141]: k9G33hTX014141:
mailout.whidbey.net [209.166.64.124] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN
during connection to MTA

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/