need help modifying shell script

René Berber r.berber at computer.org
Mon Oct 16 02:21:30 IST 2006

Chris Yuzik wrote:
[snip]
> I've tried stopping sendmail, then disabling the sendmail_app_init
> script and starting MailScanner from MailScanner_app_init_rpmnew but
> mail can't get in to the server.

Are you sure?  The file you sent as MailScanner_app_init_rpmnew.txt seems good
and complete.

If you disabled the other 2 scripts, the _rpmnew should do the job:

line 135 starts first sendmail (listening on port 25 unless you changed the .mc
file and/or /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner);

line 141 starts the second sendmail;

line 184 starts the outgoing sendmail.

> The problem I'm having is that the existing MailScanner_app_init doesn't
> start up the necessary sendmail daemon to listen for incoming email on
> port 25; that seems to happen in sendmail_app_init.

Correct, that can be seen from the other 2 scripts, but those should not be used.

> The
> MailScanner_app_init_rpmnew does say it starts sendmail, but doesn't
> start anything that listens for incoming mail (kind of an important part
> for a mail server :).
[snip]

Check other changes somewhere else, the script as I said looks good.  The only
place I can think off that could have something wrong is
/etc/sysconfig/MailScanner, look for something like -O DaemonPortOptions= and
Port=? (which would be unusual but could have been used as a test).

Or a better test is to see what ports is sendmail listening to after starting
with that rpmnew script (it should listen to 25, 587 and perhaps 465). Use "lsof
-i tcp:smtp" and "lspf -p `pidof sendmail`"
--
René Berber