need help modifying shell script

Chris Yuzik itdept at fractalweb.com
Sun Oct 15 23:42:38 IST 2006

Hi guys and gals,

While I'm not bad at Perl, I admit that I suck at bash shell scripting.
Here's the scoop. As I discovered and pointed out in a previous thread,
some mail is being picked up by sendmail and sneaking right through the
spam/virus checks and getting plopped into the users' mailboxes.
Obviously not a good situation.

I've attached a zip that contains the existing MailScanner_app_init
that's currently running on the system, as well as the new one from the
rpm. I've also included sendmail_app_init that came with the system.
I've tried stopping sendmail, then disabling the sendmail_app_init
script and starting MailScanner from MailScanner_app_init_rpmnew but
mail can't get in to the server.

The problem I'm having is that the existing MailScanner_app_init doesn't
start up the necessary sendmail daemon to listen for incoming email on
port 25; that seems to happen in sendmail_app_init. The
MailScanner_app_init_rpmnew does say it starts sendmail, but doesn't
start anything that listens for incoming mail (kind of an important part
for a mail server :).

I presume I just need to find the part of sendmail_app_init that starts
the sendmail daemon listening on port 25 and insert that line (or lines)
into the MailScanner_app_init_rpmnew file and using that instead of the
stock one. Problem is, I'm going bleary-eyed trying to figure this out
and I think I'm gonna break something baaad.

If any of you are good at shell scripting, I would really appreciate
some help.

Thanks,
Chris