Spam Re: need help modifying shell script

Chris Yuzik itdept at fractalweb.com
Mon Oct 16 02:57:28 IST 2006

Hi René,

Thank you for your help. I've never used the lsof command, so learned a
couple of things from your message.

Apparently, you're right. The rpmnew file DOES indeed start sendmail
listening on port 25, as expected. I guess what isn't working is that
the sendmail it starts doesn't seem to interface with PAM or something.
So, if I issue the following commands:

service sendmail start
service MailScanner start

Then all is well. However...

service sendmail stop
service MailScanner_app_init_rpmnew start (I haven't replaced the old
one with the one from the rpm yet)

Then everything seems great UNTIL I try to send an email and it asks me
for my password. If I put the correct password in, it says "nope, try
again" (well, not exactly in those words, but you get the idea).

So what is it that starts up in the stock sendmail service script that
isn't getting started with the rpmnew MailScanner one?

Thanks,
Chris