SOLVED: Re: mailscanner hangs on automatic restart {Scanned}

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 21:36:28 IST 2006

On 12/10/06, Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us> wrote:
> Glenn Steen wrote:
> > On 04/10/06, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> > (snip)
> >> Never mind ... I actually RTFM. Will try to remember to do so in the
> >> future.
> > ... Amazing what that can reveal, eh?:-).
> >
> >> Replying to myself ... Hmmmm... Must be running postfix somewhere.
> >> Oh yeah... Now I remember ...
> > Always knew you were a closet PF user...:-D.
> >
> > Somewhat back on track: I thought I'd need both ImageInfo and
> > FuzzyOcr... But when I implemented ImageInfo (I like to change things
> > (that work:) one small step at a time, when possible... Tweaking, not
> > frobbing;), I fairly quickly realised it got all the image-based spam
> > without hardly any FPs (at least not any _new_ FPs... The ones FP'ing
> > was doing that already due to badly come together .... "marketing
> > systems"... "solicited" spam type of things:-). So I backed off from
> > the ocr bit (have it running on a testbed, but... will probably not
> > introduce it into production use).
> > <rant style="severity: mild;">
> > What amazes me is that some of the more influential merchant
> > banks/financial institutions have really no clue as to how to put mail
> > together that don't look spammy... Instead they annoy us (their
> > "users") with notes about please making exceptions _for their domain
> > names_ ... Really no clue at all.
> > If their communications are that important, why not make the effort to
> > set up SPF and/or Domain Keys... Or just avoid forging senders, HTML
> > mails with a lot of big images, ALL CAPS subjects etc etc etc. Jeez.
> > </rant>
>
> Well, you probably just saved me a whole bunch of work Glenn.  Was
> poking around getting ready to install all the dependencies for FuzzyOCR
> and stumbled across this post about ImageInfo.  It looks much easier!
> <G>  I like easier.

As should any admin:-D

> Couple of quick questions though.  Did you have to make any tweaks to
> it, or just run it out of the box?
No tweaks that I remember ... Nope, just ran it "out of the box".

> The install instructions in ImageInfo.pm are slightly spartan - it says:
> #   3) add to init.pre (or v310.pre) the following line
> #      loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo
> #           or if not in plugin dir..
> #      loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo /path/to/plugin
>
> I didn't have a plugin directory, so just made one.  For that line,
> should I append the filename on it too, like this:
>  loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugin/ImageInfo.pm
> or just
>  loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugin
> (watch the line wrap)

I didn't have to do anything like that. Just plopped it into my Plugin
directory (mine was something like
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/<version>/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin ... At
home, VPN still "bad", so thats entirely from my lossy memory:-).
It wouldn't cost you anything to try the latter... If it fails (check
with a lint), just tag on ImageInfo.pm at the end...

Cheers
--
-- Glenn