SOLVED: Re: mailscanner hangs on automatic restart {Scanned}

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Thu Oct 12 20:47:14 IST 2006

Glenn Steen wrote:
> On 04/10/06, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> (snip)
>> Never mind ... I actually RTFM. Will try to remember to do so in the
>> future.
> ... Amazing what that can reveal, eh?:-).
>
>> Replying to myself ... Hmmmm... Must be running postfix somewhere.
>> Oh yeah... Now I remember ...
> Always knew you were a closet PF user...:-D.
>
> Somewhat back on track: I thought I'd need both ImageInfo and
> FuzzyOcr... But when I implemented ImageInfo (I like to change things
> (that work:) one small step at a time, when possible... Tweaking, not
> frobbing;), I fairly quickly realised it got all the image-based spam
> without hardly any FPs (at least not any _new_ FPs... The ones FP'ing
> was doing that already due to badly come together .... "marketing
> systems"... "solicited" spam type of things:-). So I backed off from
> the ocr bit (have it running on a testbed, but... will probably not
> introduce it into production use).
> <rant style="severity: mild;">
> What amazes me is that some of the more influential merchant
> banks/financial institutions have really no clue as to how to put mail
> together that don't look spammy... Instead they annoy us (their
> "users") with notes about please making exceptions _for their domain
> names_ ... Really no clue at all.
> If their communications are that important, why not make the effort to
> set up SPF and/or Domain Keys... Or just avoid forging senders, HTML
> mails with a lot of big images, ALL CAPS subjects etc etc etc. Jeez.
> </rant>

Well, you probably just saved me a whole bunch of work Glenn.  Was
poking around getting ready to install all the dependencies for FuzzyOCR
and stumbled across this post about ImageInfo.  It looks much easier!
<G>  I like easier.

Couple of quick questions though.  Did you have to make any tweaks to
it, or just run it out of the box?
The install instructions in ImageInfo.pm are slightly spartan - it says:
#   3) add to init.pre (or v310.pre) the following line
#      loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo
#           or if not in plugin dir..
#      loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo /path/to/plugin

I didn't have a plugin directory, so just made one.  For that line,
should I append the filename on it too, like this:
 loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugin/ImageInfo.pm
or just
 loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugin
(watch the line wrap)

I'm thinking the latter, but a reality check is always good.

Thanks...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500