spam getting through without even being checked

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Fri Oct 13 16:37:00 IST 2006

Chris Yuzik wrote:
> Ken A wrote:
>> Try restarting MailScanner AFTER you issue the two commands above. It
>> should start incoming and outgoing sendmail processes.
>>
>> If you installed from the MailScanner rpm, you should have seen these
>> instructions at the end of the install process telling you to disable
>> sendmail with the commands above (not sure about the tar.gz), since
>> the MailScanner init script handles starting and stopping sendmail
>> processes after MailScanner is installed.
>>
>> If you have your original sendmail init script still running, it may
>> claim port 25 and so the one that MailScanner tries to start is unable
>> to bind to the port.. See your /var/log/maillog for sendmail errors
>> about this.
> Hi Ken,
>
> I installed from the RPM, but this server is a bit unusual because it's
> running the Ensim control panel, so not sure if everything is "by the
> book".
>
> I tried shutting down sendmail, then restarting MailScanner, but nothing
> started listening on port 25 until I started up sendmail again. When
> MailScanner starts, even if sendmail is stopped it says nothing about
> sendmail, so something must be wrong. Not sure what to try or what to
> investigate next.
>
> In my MailScanner.conf file, the following might give a hint:
>
> MTA = sendmail
> Sendmail = /usr/sbin/sendmail
> Sendmail2 = /usr/sbin/sendmail -ODeliveryMode=background
> -OQueueDirectory=/home/virtual/FILESYSTEMTEMPLATE/services/sendmail/mqueue.scanned

Hi Chris,

I don't use Ensim, so I'm not sure what the differences might be, but
normally with the rpm (and install.sh), you will have an incoming
instance of sendmail listening on port 25 putting mail in an incoming
mail queue (mqueue.in) created by the install process. This mail is then
picked up by MailScanner, scanned, then placed in outgoing mail queue,
which is the default "original" mqueue.
So, your system must be setup to start 2 instances of sendmail. Sendmail
should start from the MailScanner init script. You might want to take a
look at the init script and your /var/log/maillog to see why sendmail
isn't starting. The defaults might be wrong for Ensim, so it might be
better to get some feedback from someone else on the list who uses Ensim.

Ken A.
Pacific.Net