spam getting through without even being checked

Chris Yuzik itdept at fractalweb.com
Fri Oct 13 03:43:32 IST 2006

Ken A wrote:
> Try restarting MailScanner AFTER you issue the two commands above. It
> should start incoming and outgoing sendmail processes.
>
> If you installed from the MailScanner rpm, you should have seen these
> instructions at the end of the install process telling you to disable
> sendmail with the commands above (not sure about the tar.gz), since
> the MailScanner init script handles starting and stopping sendmail
> processes after MailScanner is installed.
>
> If you have your original sendmail init script still running, it may
> claim port 25 and so the one that MailScanner tries to start is unable
> to bind to the port.. See your /var/log/maillog for sendmail errors
> about this.
Hi Ken,

I installed from the RPM, but this server is a bit unusual because it's
running the Ensim control panel, so not sure if everything is "by the book".

I tried shutting down sendmail, then restarting MailScanner, but nothing
started listening on port 25 until I started up sendmail again. When
MailScanner starts, even if sendmail is stopped it says nothing about
sendmail, so something must be wrong. Not sure what to try or what to
investigate next.

In my MailScanner.conf file, the following might give a hint:

MTA = sendmail
Sendmail = /usr/sbin/sendmail
Sendmail2 = /usr/sbin/sendmail -ODeliveryMode=background
-OQueueDirectory=/home/virtual/FILESYSTEMTEMPLATE/services/sendmail/mqueue.scanned

Thanks,
Chris