idea for next version

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 19:41:52 IST 2006

On 11/10/06, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> Martin Hepworth spake the following on 10/11/2006 1:05 AM:
> > mailscanner at berger.nl wrote:
> >> Well, I am happily using mailscanner for a while now and it still
> >> works great.
> >>
> >> So I was checking mailwatch this evening and I found out that the spam
> >> / ham percentage is 60% / 40% at daytime and 95% / 5% at night. This
> >> is quiet logical because at daytime everybody is working and at night
> >> (well here in europe) only spammers are working. This can be used for
> >> the spamfiltering. I think if it is possible to f.e. do, "spamscore *
> >> 1.2" between 11:00 pm and 7:00 am, it will hit more highscoring spam
> >> at night. Offcourse it will also hit ham, but as there is much less
> >> ham at night the possibility is less. Then, most off the overnight ham
> >> is mailinglist which are often whitelisted.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> >> Roger
> >
> > Depends, we run Tokyo->Paris->UK->New York->LA offices through our
> > MailScanner......not to mention all the international email lists we're
> > all on..
> >
> > I tend to find spam rises around 9am EST (Eest coast US) and dies off
> > when the US goes home for the night .... can't think of why that could
> > be ;-)
> >
> Maybe because there are more computers per capita in the US. And more stupid
> computer users that buy crap from spam mails.
> Spam is a game of spray as much as you can and hope you hit something.
The US usually don't "score that high" in a "computers per capita"
competition (has something to do with a very large population _not_
having computers:-)... Having said that, that same rather large,
moderately computer-endowed population still makes for quite a few
hackable computers:-):-). (My figures *may* be a bit dated... Not the
kind of trivia one needs to lug around in ones head:-)

And I guess a lot of ISPs still don't block port 25 for DUL type
things (Things really quited down around here in Sweden when they
did:).

--
-- Glenn