idea for next version

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Oct 11 18:26:47 IST 2006

Martin Hepworth spake the following on 10/11/2006 1:05 AM:
> mailscanner at berger.nl wrote:
>> Well, I am happily using mailscanner for a while now and it still
>> works great.
>>
>> So I was checking mailwatch this evening and I found out that the spam
>> / ham percentage is 60% / 40% at daytime and 95% / 5% at night. This
>> is quiet logical because at daytime everybody is working and at night
>> (well here in europe) only spammers are working. This can be used for
>> the spamfiltering. I think if it is possible to f.e. do, "spamscore *
>> 1.2" between 11:00 pm and 7:00 am, it will hit more highscoring spam
>> at night. Offcourse it will also hit ham, but as there is much less
>> ham at night the possibility is less. Then, most off the overnight ham
>> is mailinglist which are often whitelisted.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Roger
>
> Depends, we run Tokyo->Paris->UK->New York->LA offices through our
> MailScanner......not to mention all the international email lists we're
> all on..
>
> I tend to find spam rises around 9am EST (Eest coast US) and dies off
> when the US goes home for the night .... can't think of why that could
> be ;-)

Maybe because there are more computers per capita in the US. And more stupid
computer users that buy crap from spam mails.
Spam is a game of spray as much as you can and hope you hit something.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and