idea for next version

dnsadmin 1bigthink.com dnsadmin at 1bigthink.com
Wed Oct 11 20:08:37 IST 2006

At 02:41 PM 10/11/2006, you wrote:

>On 11/10/06, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>>Martin Hepworth spake the following on 10/11/2006 1:05 AM:

>> > Depends, we run Tokyo->Paris->UK->New York->LA offices through our
>> > MailScanner......not to mention all the international email lists we're
>> > all on..
>> >
>> > I tend to find spam rises around 9am EST (Eest coast US) and dies off
>> > when the US goes home for the night .... can't think of why that could
>> > be ;-)
>> >
>>Maybe because there are more computers per capita in the US. And more stupid
>>computer users that buy crap from spam mails.
>>Spam is a game of spray as much as you can and hope you hit something.
>The US usually don't "score that high" in a "computers per capita"
>competition (has something to do with a very large population _not_
>having computers:-)... Having said that, that same rather large,
>moderately computer-endowed population still makes for quite a few
>hackable computers:-):-). (My figures *may* be a bit dated... Not the
>kind of trivia one needs to lug around in ones head:-)
>
>And I guess a lot of ISPs still don't block port 25 for DUL type
>things (Things really quited down around here in Sweden when they
>did:).

There is a HUGE difference in the amount of spam recorded from, say
Cox.net and Earthlink.net versus Comcast.net and Verizon .net here in
the US due to port 25 authentication and blocks on outgoing port 25.
Unfortunately Comcast and Verizon are huge and will dictate as they
wish.. in fact they are paying millions of dollars to influence our
legislators (via third-party; called lobbyists, here).

My boss has frequently had difficulty using port 25 when in hotels
across the country. I've set up port 587 in sendmail to handle the slack.