FW: Missing /rules files from MailScanner installation fromports

Koopmann, Jan-Peter Jan-Peter.Koopmann at seceidos.de
Sun Oct 8 13:05:32 IST 2006

On Saturday, October 07, 2006 7:20 AM Michael S. wrote:

> That's strange; because on 3 servers thus far mailscanner.sh and
> mta.sh were not copied to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ where they are suppose
> to end up after the port installation. I had to copy them from
> /ports/files/mailscanner.in and mta.in to /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> manually.

As I said in a previous post this is strange since it was working. Maybe
some change in the port-magic results in a problem here but I need to
have this verified and try it out myself. Since I am on the road next
week it will probably take some time.

> Also, what has everyone done with files such as clean.quarantine and
> update_virus_scanners? Since one is supposed to run hourly and the
> other daily did you copy them somewhere and symlink them back to
> /usr/local/libexec/MailScanner where all the cron jobs are or did you
> simply create a root cronjob?

The latter.

> Seems like this step is missing as
> well.

On purpose. If you guys tell me how "the majority" wants it I might be
able to automatically do this. I personally prefer to do this step
manually and put a remark in install instructions.

> Unless you are well aware of what the setup should look like
> you wouldn't even know about it.

If you do not read the install instructions: Probably. Maybe it is
missing there. I would very much like to improve that and am eager to
hear your suggestions. But please: Specific suggestion and not "do it
differently; fix it" or my personal favourite "finally fix it!". :-) As
I pointed out many times: My time for this port is limited! A simple
"make this better" will not help me and therefore will not help you.

Regards,
   JP