FW: Missing /rules files from MailScanner installation fromports

James L. Day lday at txk.k12.ar.us
Sat Oct 7 07:31:37 IST 2006

I use ClamAV and it's updated by "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/clamav-freshclam.sh".

Since I have MailWatch installed, I have these in my "/etc/crontab" file:

*/5     *       *       *       *       root    /usr/local/sbin/mailq.php
0       0       *       *       *       root
/usr/local/sbin/quarantine_maint.php --clean
0       0       *       *       *       root
/usr/local/sbin/quarantine_report.php
0       0       *       *       *       root    /usr/local/sbin/db_clean.php

I've never had "clean.quarantine" and "update_virus_scanners" in root's
crontab.  They were definitely not put there for me during a MailScanner
install.  I ran McAfee's command line scanner for quite some time before
switching to ClamAV.  If I remember correctly, I had to manually add a
line to root's crontab to update the McAfee definitions.  Before
MailWatch, I cleaned "/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine" manually.  I
didn't know it was supposed to be done auto-magically..  ;-)

BTW - I've installed MailScanner/SpamAssassin/ClamAV on at least 6
servers over the past 3 years and have updated or reinstalled them many
times.  The FreeBSD MailScanner port needs fixing..

Lynn