SOLVED: Re: mailscanner hangs on automatic restart {Scanned}

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 08:49:00 IST 2006

On 04/10/06, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
(snip)
> Never mind ... I actually RTFM. Will try to remember to do so in the future.
... Amazing what that can reveal, eh?:-).

> Replying to myself ... Hmmmm... Must be running postfix somewhere.
> Oh yeah... Now I remember ...
Always knew you were a closet PF user...:-D.

Somewhat back on track: I thought I'd need both ImageInfo and
FuzzyOcr... But when I implemented ImageInfo (I like to change things
(that work:) one small step at a time, when possible... Tweaking, not
frobbing;), I fairly quickly realised it got all the image-based spam
without hardly any FPs (at least not any _new_ FPs... The ones FP'ing
was doing that already due to badly come together .... "marketing
systems"... "solicited" spam type of things:-). So I backed off from
the ocr bit (have it running on a testbed, but... will probably not
introduce it into production use).
<rant style="severity: mild;">
What amazes me is that some of the more influential merchant
banks/financial institutions have really no clue as to how to put mail
together that don't look spammy... Instead they annoy us (their
"users") with notes about please making exceptions _for their domain
names_ ... Really no clue at all.
If their communications are that important, why not make the effort to
set up SPF and/or Domain Keys... Or just avoid forging senders, HTML
mails with a lot of big images, ALL CAPS subjects etc etc etc. Jeez.
</rant>

--
-- Glenn