SOLVED: Re: mailscanner hangs on automatic restart {Scanned}

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Oct 5 16:26:51 IST 2006

Glenn Steen spake the following on 10/5/2006 12:49 AM:
> On 04/10/06, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> (snip)
>> Never mind ... I actually RTFM. Will try to remember to do so in the
>> future.
> ... Amazing what that can reveal, eh?:-).
>
>> Replying to myself ... Hmmmm... Must be running postfix somewhere.
>> Oh yeah... Now I remember ...
> Always knew you were a closet PF user...:-D.
>
> Somewhat back on track: I thought I'd need both ImageInfo and
> FuzzyOcr... But when I implemented ImageInfo (I like to change things
> (that work:) one small step at a time, when possible... Tweaking, not
> frobbing;), I fairly quickly realised it got all the image-based spam
> without hardly any FPs (at least not any _new_ FPs... The ones FP'ing
> was doing that already due to badly come together .... "marketing
> systems"... "solicited" spam type of things:-). So I backed off from
> the ocr bit (have it running on a testbed, but... will probably not
> introduce it into production use).
> <rant style="severity: mild;">
> What amazes me is that some of the more influential merchant
> banks/financial institutions have really no clue as to how to put mail
> together that don't look spammy... Instead they annoy us (their
> "users") with notes about please making exceptions _for their domain
> names_ ... Really no clue at all.
> If their communications are that important, why not make the effort to
> set up SPF and/or Domain Keys... Or just avoid forging senders, HTML
> mails with a lot of big images, ALL CAPS subjects etc etc etc. Jeez.
> </rant>

It is just like the web designers that abbreviate words into their
pron-looking equivalents and set off the content filters.
I had a V.P. in here wondering why the (tit)anium driver he was trying to look
at was classified as objectionable.
I just need a TCP/IP enabled lart! Then I could give a clue anywhere in the world!

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and