Botnet 0.4 Spam Assassin plugin

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herffjones.com
Mon Nov 27 23:06:56 GMT 2006

But the point is that if my trusted users authenticate themselves using SMTP-AUTH, then someone using your plugin at some OTHER site should not block them based on their client IP address.  If you don't exclude the first received 'from' address, then you're going to blocking well-behaved users who send mail through well-behaved relays that have forced the user to authenticate.

> In any of those cases, the answer is "make the legitimate but
> non-local user use SMTP-AUTH to one of the SMTP-AUTH enabled
> hosts".  This doesn't even require the use of multiple
> machines (and thus a higher cost of operation).

...which seems perfectly reasonable -- except that it would seem to me that it is only perfect when the sender is one of your users authenticating against your authentication system -- it ought to unfairly score any messages from anyone else's system that include a Received header for the client, which is pretty much everything except Mickeysoft Exchange, EVEN IF they are authenticating to some properly configured relay.

Am I missing something? :-)