Question regarding spam wrt general user names

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 16:35:37 GMT 2006

On 16/11/06, David Jourard <cgi at bytesinteractive.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope this question is relevant to this list. If not pls pt me to
> another list.
>
> I have a small server for web hosting and I have been using MailScanner
> for a while to handle the spam assassin and the
> virus scanners.  I'm very pleased.
>
> I have spam which is directed to users such as root, mail uucp etc. wrt
> any domain.  Because the e-mail address does not exist it is directed to
> root and eventually to me.
>
> Is is possible through mailscanner somehow to reject e-mail from
> root at somedomain1.com, root at somedomain2.com ...,
> mail at somedomain1.com , mail at somedomain2.com, ... etc.

Reject, as in reject during SMTP conversation: No, that would be a job
for the MTA (and handled via some form of access file/list, in most
cases).
Reject as in delete or quarantine after receiving it? Sure, do that by
blacklisting it using the "Is Definitely Spam" and "Definite Spam Is
High Scoring" settings. At least the first need be a ruleset... Could
look something like
Is Definitely Spam = %rules-dir%/spam.blacklist.rules
Definite Spam Is High Scoring = yes
... in MailScanner.conf, and
FromOrTo: root at somedomain1.com yes
FromOrTo: root at somedomain2.com yes