Mail Not Delivering

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Sat Nov 11 19:55:02 GMT 2006

Mailing Lists spake the following on 11/11/2006 9:33 AM:
> On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 17:10 +0000, Martin Hepworth wrote:
>> Mailing Lists wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Yesterday my mail stopped getting to the in-boxes. I am using sendmail
>>> and MailScanner 4.23.11. when I stopped MailScanner, and just started
>>> sendmail, things get delevered fine, however, during the time it was not
>>> delivering  mail, I sent myself a bunch of test emails, and I never got
>>> them at all. It seems that I have lost mail!
>>> What happened to that mail? will it be delivered eventually?
>>>
>>> One clue that I noticed in /var/log/messages:
>>> Nov 10 15:45:32 pipe named[1928]: lame server resolving
>>> '205.78.168.68.relays.ordb.org' (in 'relays.ordb.org'?):
>>> 206.154.202.54#53
>>>
>>> I will appreciate any help on this...
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Rick
>>>

>> Hi
>>
>> wow, thats really really old code you got running there - three years at
>> least.
>>
>> check the inbound, and outbound queues to see if they are there..
>>
>> --
>> Martin Hepworth
>> Senior Systems Administrator
>> Solid State Logic
>> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300
>>

> Forgive me for not knowing much about this. but I looked in
> the /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/ directory. there are a few
> directories there but no files at all. Is this the right place to look?
> were are the inbound and outbound directories?
>
> Right it is old! I installed it back when it was new as a rpm. The OS is
> RedHat 9. Now is seems there is no rpm for it. Is there any good docs
> that step me through an upgrade?
>
> Thanks!
> Rick

Go to www.mailscanner.info  there are links to the current code, and lots of
docs. The current rpm install is actually several src.rpms and the mailscanner
rpm in a tarball. You unpack the tarball in some working directory and run an
install.sh script. It will update any code you need fixed, and give you some
instructions at the end.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and