Spamassassin not working after 4.53

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Wed May 3 16:39:40 IST 2006

Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> On Wed, 3 May 2006, Devon Harding wrote:
>
>>> Either fall back to the "default" rules by deleting the dir, or make
>>> darned sure the first run succeeds. You might need delete the
>>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/sa-update-keys directory and the
>>> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001 for that to actually work (after
>>> opening port 8090).
>
> Coming into this thread...  I also discovered that (a) I'm not running
> sa-update on a regular basis via cron, (b) I had port 8090 blocked in my
> firewall (now fixed).  Questions here:
>
> a) My installed SA cf files are in /opt/perl5/share/spamassassin.  So
> I ran "sa-update -D" and watched what happened.  It put new cf files in
> /var/opt/spamassassin/3.001001/updates_spamassassin_org.  Will MailScanner
> and SA pick up these new cf files, or should I be doing
> "sa-update --updatedir /opt/perl5/share/spamassassin" instead?

Nopes, /opt/perl5/share/spamassassin is the default rules dir.. whereas
/var/lib/whatever is the local state dir, which will completely override
'default rules dir'

> b) I did a diff of 10_misc.cf between the directories, and found:
>
> 4c4
> < # the next update. Use /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf instead.
> ---
>> # the next update. Use @@LOCAL_RULES_DIR@@/local.cf instead.
> 45c45
> < report_contact        postmaster at colby.edu
> ---
>> report_contact        @@CONTACT_ADDRESS@@
>
> So the updates are mangled.  How to fix?

Fix this in your /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf, in any case
'report_contact' is IMO not used by MailScanner.

> c) Once the new cf files are in the right place and unmangled, will
> SpamAssassin begin using them right away?

No again, a reload/restart to mailscanner will do the trick.. the 4-hour
auto-restart will work equally well.

> d) Shouldn't the sa-update action be added to the normal MailScanner
> cron jobs?

It is.. at least in RPM based systems '/etc/cron.daily/sa-update'

> Jeff Earickson
> Colby College

- dhawal