Spamassassin not working after 4.53

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Wed May 3 16:15:36 IST 2006

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Devon Harding wrote:

>> Either fall back to the "default" rules by deleting the dir, or make
>> darned sure the first run succeeds. You might need delete the
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/sa-update-keys directory and the
>> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001 for that to actually work (after
>> opening port 8090).

Coming into this thread...  I also discovered that (a) I'm not running
sa-update on a regular basis via cron, (b) I had port 8090 blocked in my
firewall (now fixed).  Questions here:

a) My installed SA cf files are in /opt/perl5/share/spamassassin.  So
I ran "sa-update -D" and watched what happened.  It put new cf files in
/var/opt/spamassassin/3.001001/updates_spamassassin_org.  Will MailScanner
and SA pick up these new cf files, or should I be doing
"sa-update --updatedir /opt/perl5/share/spamassassin" instead?

b) I did a diff of 10_misc.cf between the directories, and found:

4c4
< # the next update. Use /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf instead.
---
> # the next update. Use @@LOCAL_RULES_DIR@@/local.cf instead.
45c45
< report_contact        postmaster at colby.edu
---
> report_contact        @@CONTACT_ADDRESS@@

So the updates are mangled.  How to fix?

c) Once the new cf files are in the right place and unmangled, will
SpamAssassin begin using them right away?

d) Shouldn't the sa-update action be added to the normal MailScanner
cron jobs?

Jeff Earickson
Colby College