Filetype/MailScanner bug

Rose, Bobby brose at med.wayne.edu
Tue Mar 21 13:33:50 GMT 2006

But you miss my point.  A lot of filetypes that file and magic detects
is based on the same methodology and even though the odds could be
against it, if it happens with the word "free" being in the fourth byte
position, the same could occur with anything in the magic file when a
text file is passed thru it.

Plus the magic file is based off work and discovery of the internet
community over many years.  If there was a better signature, I'm sure
someone would have added it to the file.  At
http://www.garykessler.net/library/file_sigs.html which is dated
12/20/2005 and the last comment line says "free" is the most common
signature of a quicktime file.

Maybe a better question should whether the txt file that tnef extracts
to msg-*.txt should even be passed thru file to avoid a misdiagnosis.
That reduces the chances while maintaining a greater level of intended
security wanted by the admin.

-=B