Filetype/MailScanner bug

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 16:49:16 GMT 2006

On 21/03/06, Rose, Bobby <brose at med.wayne.edu> wrote:
> But you miss my point.  A lot of filetypes that file and magic detects
> is based on the same methodology and even though the odds could be
> against it, if it happens with the word "free" being in the fourth byte
> position, the same could occur with anything in the magic file when a
> text file is passed thru it.

I wouldn't call my standpoint missing the point exactly:-)
This is exactly why you should take a long hard think-session on
whether to use file/filtype checking at all.

> Plus the magic file is based off work and discovery of the internet
> community over many years.  If there was a better signature, I'm sure
> someone would have added it to the file.  At
> http://www.garykessler.net/library/file_sigs.html which is dated
> 12/20/2005 and the last comment line says "free" is the most common
> signature of a quicktime file.

Ah, yes... but the file command has a rather significant difference
when used as usually done, contra what it's like in MS... Namely a
human to interprete the results.... MS is a bit more ... litteral.

> Maybe a better question should whether the txt file that tnef extracts
> to msg-*.txt should even be passed thru file to avoid a misdiagnosis.
> That reduces the chances while maintaining a greater level of intended
> security wanted by the admin.

Perhaps, but if one wants filetype checks on all attachments, why
should these not be subject to the checks? One could easily envision
some crafty type exploiting such a "hole":-)...

--
-- Glenn