Don't understand this match

Richard Thomas richard.thomas at psysolutions.com
Wed Mar 1 22:33:01 GMT 2006

Julian Field wrote:

>It santises the filenames before logging them or outputting them in any way.
>One way it does this is by shortening them, except for the last filename
>extension.
>So you won't always see the full original filename. This is to stop
>exploits based on the reporting of filenames (imagine if you made up a
>filename that contained MIME boundaries, newline characters and a
>complete MIME attachment). It never ever outputs raw data based on the
>input data without sanitising it in some form.
>
>This is a fundamental anti-attack method I use.

OK, I understand the reasoning behind that. The problem is then I guess
that it obscures the reason the file was blocked in the first place. Not
that I'm complaining :) Just wondering if there might be some way to
reconcile the two issues. (For now, I may just make the reject reason
more explicit).

Thanks

Rich

--
MIS Department      | Psychiatric Solutions Inc |Phone: +1 615 312 5787
840 Crescent Ctr Dr |                           |Fax:   +1 615 312 5711