Don't understand this match

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Mar 1 21:26:28 GMT 2006

Richard Thomas wrote:
> Julian Field wrote:
>>
>> This regexp is just fine, it has been there for several years without
>> any changes whatsoever. I wrote it carefully and got it right first time.
>>

> OK, based on that, I dug a little deeper...
>
> It *is* a dodgy filename

>             filename="Shortcut (2) to Copy of PayrollTFC (version 2)
>     3.lnk.xls"
>

> But MailScanner is reporting the filename as beign the valid one
>
>     Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
>     Warning: (Shortcut 29 t.xls).
>     Warning: Please read the "PsySolutions-Attachment-Warning.txt" attachment(s)
>     for more information.

>     This is a message from the MailScanner E-Mail Virus Protection Service
>     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>     The original e-mail attachment "Shortcut 29 t.xls"
>     is on the list of unacceptable attachments for this site and has been
>     replaced by this warning message.
>
>     If you wish to receive a copy of the original attachment, please
>     e-mail helpdesk and include the whole of this message
>     in your request. Alternatively, you can call them, with
>     the contents of this message to hand when you call.
>
>     At Wed Mar  1 12:44:39 2006 the virus scanner said:
>        MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension (Shortcut 29 t.xls)
>

> Again, we may just be behind the times.
It santises the filenames before logging them or outputting them in any way.
One way it does this is by shortening them, except for the last filename
extension.
So you won't always see the full original filename. This is to stop
exploits based on the reporting of filenames (imagine if you made up a
filename that contained MIME boundaries, newline characters and a
complete MIME attachment). It never ever outputs raw data based on the
input data without sanitising it in some form.

This is a fundamental anti-attack method I use.

- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.