Who does RBL checks - MailScanner or SpamAssassin?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 10:57:26 IST 2006

On 09/06/06, Res <res at ausics.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Glenn Steen wrote:
>
> > Missread by Martin  I beleive... He read "second" where you said
> > "minute" (60*60*24*500=43.2*10^6 ... I did the same thing... sat there
> > full of awe for a moment, considering you have several boxes doing
> > that:-). The 720k you do per day isn't bad, though perhaps not as
>
> Thats 'per machine x 2 machines'... several others do less, they do
> about 50-200 a minute, with a few more more dedicated boxes doing much
> less

Ok, so you do perhaps 2 million/day, give or take a couple of hundred
k... <slight pause>... Ok, that is a bit awe-inspiring:-).

> > I guess you have this very well covered, but... What is it that "kills
> > you" when running SA? The DNS overhead?
>
> SA itself, all the dns stuff is off as is a couple other things they
> suggested, SA was used for spam detection only, we lowered teh default MS
> check first.. from 30k to 10k to 5k, even at 5k it only made a minute
> improvement but was next to useless still, also allowing lots of spam to
> pass :)

How very depressing.
Was it CPU-bound or IO-bound (yeah yeah, IO is CPU-bound, I know:-),
mostly? And using the usual tmpfs thing for anything that needs really
fast IO (I guess I haven't done the math on that one... Could ramp up
to a very hefty amount of RAM, with that throughput:-)?

> Laws in this country were changed recently to require netbadwork operators to
> do what they can and be "pro active" in stopping spam leaving their
> network, thats great, but only about 1% comes from our users, the rest is
> international where there appears no legislation to deter it.

Yeah, it's always "somewhere else"... and all that is needed is a few
lax admins, and next to no control... Sigh. Legislation will just
solve so much (just lad ook at the mess our Swedish parliament made of
"anti-piracy":-)... Still, bad rules are probably better than no
rules:-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn