Who does RBL checks - MailScanner or SpamAssassin?

Res res at ausics.net
Fri Jun 9 08:35:38 IST 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Glenn Steen wrote:

> Missread by Martin  I beleive... He read "second" where you said
> "minute" (60*60*24*500=43.2*10^6 ... I did the same thing... sat there
> full of awe for a moment, considering you have several boxes doing
> that:-). The 720k you do per day isn't bad, though perhaps not as

Thats 'per machine x 2 machines'... several others do less, they do
about 50-200 a minute, with a few more more dedicated boxes doing much
less

> I guess you have this very well covered, but... What is it that "kills
> you" when running SA? The DNS overhead?

SA itself, all the dns stuff is off as is a couple other things they
suggested, SA was used for spam detection only, we lowered teh default MS
check first.. from 30k to 10k to 5k, even at 5k it only made a minute
improvement but was next to useless still, also allowing lots of spam to
pass :)

Laws in this country were changed recently to require network operators to
do what they can and be "pro active" in stopping spam leaving their
network, thats great, but only about 1% comes from our users, the rest is
international where there appears no legislation to deter it.

--
Cheers
Res