Who does RBL checks - MailScanner or SpamAssassin?

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Wed Jun 7 11:23:32 IST 2006

Res wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Martin Hepworth wrote:
>
>> Res
>>
>> Yes that's another option, but I find this type of blacklist give too
>> many
>> false positives. I prefer to get SA to do it, and merely add to the spam
>> score.
>
> Ever tried running S.A on servers that do serious work, and want your
> mail out of the queue and delivered the same week ? :)
> (I do run SA on the machines that can handle it though, but thats like 2
> out of many)

Most of us run servers that pretty much do serious work ;-).. to each
his/her way. You can use RBLs at:

MTA: Very effective, but prone to false positives.. at times RBLs get
over enthusiastic causing collateral damage. Point in case SORBS
blocking hotmail and spamcop blocking yahoo/gmail

MailScanner: Haven't tried this one.

SpamAssassin: Best way to use RBLs as per my POV.. the bad part being
that mails originating from ROKSO (spamhaus) are accepted and then tagged.

I use it at:
1. The MTA level (spamhaus+spamcop+dsbl) and am quite aware of the FPs
but that is something we (me and my customers) are ready to live with.
2. A ton others are used at the SA level as Martin hinted.
3. We also run a few RBLs of our own to take care of my country specific
abusers.

- dhawal