A quick and easy performance improvement

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Wed Jul 26 22:33:39 IST 2006

Richard Lynch wrote:
> I offered my experiences because I believed (and still do) that it is
> common to have / and /var on separate partitions on the same drive.  I
> also think it is easy to overlook the huge performance penalty with
> bayes defaulting to /.  Moving bayes to /var was dramatic enough (a 10
> fold reduction in IOWait time) that I believed it was worth sharing
> with others who may have the same setup.  That's why I posted.
>
> -- Rich

I know... Please don't take it the wrong way... It's good for people to
point these things out, specially for those who will surely be looking
for ways to improve their setup in the future. It's just that how you
partition your drive is one of those emacs-vs.-vi (I use pico, only
because nano is funny about screen refreshes) discussions that stir up
valid points and counterpoints about each way of doing things.

The good things about these discussions (when they don't degenerate into
flamewars) is that you get to see a lot of different ways of doing
things, and in turn, discover ways of improving your own ways by
incorporating advice from others depending on how it pertains to your
particular situation.

I know I've learned a thing or two about this topic from watching this
thread, and I thank you for starting it. Again, I meant no disrespect.

Cheers,