A quick and easy performance improvement

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Wed Jul 26 19:34:26 IST 2006

Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:

> When I read the message, I thought... this is good for all those
> sysadmins out there who are accustomed to splitting their filesystems
> for performance/security/convenience reasons. The BOFH in me read the
> message as ... "If I drop this really big rock I find my running speed
> increases, thought I'd share it with you". I didn't reply to the
> message because I didn't want to sound rude, though.
>
> Then came Julian and, in a completely deadpan, straight-to-the-point,
> vulcan-like manner said "but dude, you're carrying a big rock" :-)

I offered my experiences because I believed (and still do) that it is
common to have / and /var on separate partitions on the same drive.  I
also think it is easy to overlook the huge performance penalty with
bayes defaulting to /.  Moving bayes to /var was dramatic enough (a 10
fold reduction in IOWait time) that I believed it was worth sharing with
others who may have the same setup.  That's why I posted.

-- Rich