Order Of Installation

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jul 25 16:25:20 IST 2006

On 25 Jul 2006, at 16:07, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

> Hi there –
>

> I am going through the process of building a replacement mail
> server for our department. The server in question is running
>
> SuSE 10.0 Linux that has been ‘hardened’ via Bastille. The server
> currently has ClamAV 0.88.3 and SpamAssassin 3.1.3
>
> installed via the Easy Installation package. The procedure that I
> have in mind to complete the installation is as follows:
>

> Install from source Sendmail 8.13.7.

Can you not get this as an RPM? You are using an RPM of it now, so I
would stick with that route if you can. If not, make sure you "rpm -e
sendmail" before installing any new one, or else you will leave the
RPM files database in a mess.

> Update ClamAV to the latest version.
> Update SpamAssassin to the latest version.

You should find you have the latest ClamAV and SpamAssassin anyway.

> Install MailScanner 4.54.6-1.
I'm about to release a new stable version (1st Sept hopefully) so I
would advise waiting for that. Download about 4th September to ensure
there weren't any problems with the 1st release.

> Is there anything that I missed, or something about the procedure
> that is wrong and should be corrected before proceeding?
I upgrade my Easy-install-Clam+SA package as soon as a new version of
either package appears, so you can just re-install that over the top
of your old version as new ones appear.

I would normally recommend doing MailScanner before Clam+SA rather
than after, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

I would add Razor, DCC and RulesDuJour to the mix as well. You can
get an easy-install package for RulesDuJour from www.fsl.com/support.

--
Julian Field
MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk