Mailscanner mqueuein trouble

Res res at ausics.net
Sat Jul 22 02:53:18 IST 2006

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Dhawal Doshy wrote:

> Res wrote:
>> Hi Chris,

>>> Are you running sa-learn on those boxes? I'm truely surprised at the
>>> woeful performance you're getting. It's almost like you are feeding spam
>>> in to sa-learn as ham...!
>>
>> Yes on the smaller ones, but not on the problem one, I've tried turning
>> as much off with it as possible, all to no avail, once S.A is on bang, the
>> queue starts to blow out. I admit im no S.A guru, extremely far from it,
>> but the other boxes handle it well, but they dont do as much work as that
>> one, and no it does swap, theres ample memory and its fast scsi raid like
>> the others, I could understand it if the load blew out but it barely peaks
>> much higher than normal.
>
> Have you considered any alternative to SA? if you have the resources and
> patience try using some other tool with 'Custom Spam Scanner'.. dspam,
> crm114, popfile come to mind immediately though there are others as well.

Must admit not yet, i might play around with dspam, as i've heard about
it.

> As for the SA problem on your main machine, are you possibly being
> conservative on resource allocation to SA? like try running a higher number
> of Children or a bigger batch size etc..

children runnnig is 10, we increased the batch 30 to 50, made a little
difference, then increased it to 100, but no improvement over 50

even tried the SA check first size of 30k to as low as 5, which made a
only minimal improvement.

--
Cheers
Res