Mailscanner mqueuein trouble

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Sat Jul 22 01:26:54 IST 2006

Res wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, Chris Green wrote:
>
>>> But I see in your followup post you only do about 100K a day, we have
>>> 3 machines that do 3/4 of a million+  and 1 that does well over a
>>> million a day (which is the problem one) each so they are not exactly
>>> little machines.
>>>
>> Are you running sa-learn on those boxes? I'm truely surprised at the
>> woeful performance you're getting. It's almost like you are feeding
>> spam in to sa-learn as ham...!
>
> Yes on the smaller ones, but not on the problem one, I've tried turning
> as much off with it as possible, all to no avail, once S.A is on bang,
> the queue starts to blow out. I admit im no S.A guru, extremely far from
> it, but the other boxes handle it well, but they dont do as much work as
> that one, and no it does swap, theres ample memory and its fast scsi
> raid like the others, I could understand it if the load blew out but it
> barely peaks much higher than normal.

Have you considered any alternative to SA? if you have the resources and
patience try using some other tool with 'Custom Spam Scanner'.. dspam,
crm114, popfile come to mind immediately though there are others as well.

As for the SA problem on your main machine, are you possibly being
conservative on resource allocation to SA? like try running a higher
number of Children or a bigger batch size etc..

- dhawal