Upgrading from 4.37 (I know, I know, it's OLD)

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 27 21:34:48 GMT 2006

Diane Rolland wrote:
> I want to upgrade my older MailScanner version to (probably) the latest
> stable.

New stable version due out on the 1st of Feb, wait until then as you
really do want the new features in 4.50.

> I would be using the rpm installation for RedHat.  So, normally, I'm
> comfortable with that type of upgrade.
>
> My concern is that since my version is SO old, is there anything I need to
> look out for in upgrading to the latest?  I'm using pretty standard rulesets
> (whitelist, blacklist, archive, non.spam.actions).

Don't forget about running upgrade_languages_conf and
upgrade_MailScanner_conf.

Once you have 4.50 installed, you can run MailScanner --lint to syntax
check your configuration.

As someone else has suggested, it might be a good idea to do a dummy run
of the upgrade (particularly be able to run upgrade_MailScanner_conf) so
you can see all the new configuration options being installed into your
setup. Either install the RPM version onto another machine, or use the
non-RPM version to get the new MailScanner.conf.

You should find all the new settings are set to sensible values, but you
may well want to see the new ones and read about them.

If you want some help, do ask for it. I'm usually around on IRC during
sensible GMT hours if you need me.

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.