All_Trusted

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Thu Jan 5 01:06:49 GMT 2006

Kevin Miller wrote:
> Matt Kettler wrote:

>>Any chance your old spam.assassin.prefs.conf had a "score ALL_TRUSTED
>>  0" in it? (For a while the MS standard distro file had this in it..
>>very bad)
>>
>>Or some other config file that got disabled when you upgraded?
>

> My old spam.assassin.prefs.conf did have it in there, but the new one
> (linked to from /etc/mail) doesn't.  That would have set the score to 0
> at any rate, not -3.14.  Unless I'm reading the line wrong and it's a
> toggle rather than a level.

Well, yes, but if the score was previously set to 0, the rule would have been
disabled and would never match any mail.

Hence, with your old config, ALL_TRUSTED never fired due to the score 0
statement, covering up a pervasive problem in Received: header parsing on your
system.

The upgrade effectively caused this score statement to go away, thus enabling
the rule with it's default -3.14 score, and showing that you needed a
trusted_networks setting to fix your header parsing.

It's a good thing the upgrade removed that statement.. setting ALL_TRUSTED to a
0 score covers up a lot of serious problems.