All_Trusted

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Thu Jan 5 01:31:26 GMT 2006

Matt Kettler wrote:
> Kevin Miller wrote:
>> Matt Kettler wrote:
>
>>> Any chance your old spam.assassin.prefs.conf had a "score
>>>  ALL_TRUSTED 0" in it? (For a while the MS standard distro file had
>>> this in it.. very bad)
>>>
>>> Or some other config file that got disabled when you upgraded?
>>

>> My old spam.assassin.prefs.conf did have it in there, but the new one
>> (linked to from /etc/mail) doesn't.  That would have set the score
>> to 0 at any rate, not -3.14.  Unless I'm reading the line wrong and
>> it's a toggle rather than a level.
>

> Well, yes, but if the score was previously set to 0, the rule would
> have been disabled and would never match any mail.
>
> Hence, with your old config, ALL_TRUSTED never fired due to the score
> 0 statement, covering up a pervasive problem in Received: header
> parsing on your system.
>
> The upgrade effectively caused this score statement to go away, thus
> enabling the rule with it's default -3.14 score, and showing that you
> needed a trusted_networks setting to fix your header parsing.
>

> It's a good thing the upgrade removed that statement.. setting
> ALL_TRUSTED to a 0 score covers up a lot of serious problems.

Ah, I see what you mean.  So having set trusted_networks and
internal_networks per Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf, the ALL_TRUSTED trigger
went away.  But is there anything I should be looking at regarding the
Things seem to be flowing OK.  Hopefully it's catching more spam than
ever?

I take it that it would be prudent to check my other MS boxes and rem
out the "score ALL_TRUSTED 0" if it's there?  They're still running
older versions so probably have that since it was a default setting...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500