OT Advice for server reinstalation

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Feb 24 14:33:27 GMT 2006

On 24 Feb 2006, at 14:14, Pavel Zichovsky wrote:

> Hi There!
>
> My old RedHat 7 on server is comming to end of life, as some things
> are not working correctly (but vital services like mail server
> and MS are still runing OK) so I am preparing for clean neew OS
> install on same (old) hardware.
>
> HW is pretty old, it is PIII900 with 256MB RAM, SCSI HDDs on Mylex
> AcceleRAID 170 PCI RAID Controller (one RAID0 array)
> (Yes, I know that 256MB is low, but it realy was enough in our
> enviroment, swaping occured only in rare occasions.) I can't get new
> HW, have to use this one.

You're going to have to get used to it swapping.

> I am asking for advice which Linux distribution and products to use.
>
> Distribution have to be completely free (fully downloadable from
> internet),
> must be rpm compatible (or other packaging system, but rpm is
> preffered),

CentOS, Tao or Whitebox. They are basically clones of RedHat. Don't
use Fedora, it is not intended for stable production use.

> must support my old HW (with RAID card),
> must be "admin friendly" as I am not "big linux guru".

So ignore Debian and Debian-based systems such as Ubuntu.

> Main Services which will be run on server (which are running also now)
> Sendmail
> POP3/IMAP (what to use here? Dovecot? Courrier? Something else?)

I prefer Cyrus. It's very reliable, low load, works like a dream.

> Apache
> MailScanner
> SpamAssassin
> MailWatch
> Samba
> WebMin
> MySQL
> FireBird

You are going to need a lot of swap space to run that lot with 256MB
of ram!

> DHCP, DNS and firewall are running on other servers
>
> I am thinking of Fedora Core 4 distribution. But I am open for
> other suggestion from more knowlegeable people here.

Fedora is intended for hobbyist experimentation, it is not intended
for production systems. A clone of RedHat Enterprise 4 (such as
CentOS) would be better in my opinion. Be sure to turn off all the
services you don't need, you want to run as little as possible.

> Thanks in advance for suggestions.
>
> With regards
> Pavel Zichovsky (zichovsky at trul)

- --