Beta 4.51.1: "Add TNEF Contents"

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 19:30:12 GMT 2006

Kevin Miller wrote:
> Julian Field wrote:
>

>> I have added a new option to allow the attachments contained within a
>> Microsoft TNEF ("Outlook Rich Text Format") to be added to the normal
>> attachments contained in the message.
>>
>> This means that non-Outlook users can still read the attachments put
>> in the message by badly configured Outlook or Exchange systems.
>>
>> Please can you give this option a try. It is switched on by default.
>>

> So I'm a bit confused.  With the latest MS TNEF attachments are
> disallowed by default.
Due to a current security issue with TNEF handling in Microsoft code.
You may choose to disable this block. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this
issue pretty fast, it should be in an Office update.

So this block is temporary, it's not intended to be permanently in there.

>   Is this new feature taking a TNEF attachment and
> rewriting it so that it's a normal attachment?  Do we need to rem out
> the TNEF/RTF filtering in filename.rules.conf and filetype.rules.conf?

Having not seen any new evidence of exploits of the TNEF bug, you can
probably fairly safely remove the filtering from filename.rules.conf and
filetype.rules.conf.
> I'm dropping inbound TNEF laden messages, but it seems that people on
> the outside are either slow learners or they can't get around their
> admins/servers.  I've had people set their Outlook to plain text, but
> still have it filtered. (Or so they told me.)  I suspect their Exchange
> server is set to always send in RTF.  Kinda sucks.  Sooner or later I'll
> probably have to open up the gates again...

Whatever they set their Outlook settings to, Exchange Server will
over-ride them. I think you'll have to open the gates again.

- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.