OT: IMAP and POP3

Drew Marshall drew at themarshalls.co.uk
Sat Feb 18 12:47:01 GMT 2006

On 18 Feb 2006, at 11:10, Glenn Steen wrote:
>> Have you considered using the Maildir format (with maybe courier-
>> imap)
>> over mbox?? i have never seen any corruption to date (slowness yes,
>> corruption no.. but thats more of a filesystem debate)
>>
>> - dhawal
> Courier is an excellent suggestion, since you get less chance of
> "complete corruption", but also because it supports "soft" quotas.
> Dovecot will have these things too, but.... It's been a long while
> where they've promised soft (or ndeed working soft or hard) quotas, so
> ... go with what works.
> Courier imap also incorporates a good popd that work with Maildir...
> Just a bonus (noted the SBS (Skit Bakom Spakarna ... loosely
> translated to Sh*t Behind the Stick/Steeringwheel) problems that might
> arise:-).

And indeed will do shared folders, auto removal of 'old' mail (Use
that a lot for people who can never throw anything away :-) Deleted
items are just that, as I tell my users. You get 7 days to change
your mind!) , authenticate using LDAP, MySQL, amongst others and will
even sort of cluster.

In short, it's got most of the toys.

I quite like it ;-)

Drew