OT: IMAP and POP3

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 11:10:33 GMT 2006

On 18/02/06, Dhawal Doshy <dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com> wrote:

> >> I have seen a few cases lately where a user does IMAP and POP
> >> intermixed, but not simultaneously.  A sad result is that the mail
> >> file (mbox format) can get corrupted and neither access protocol works.
> >>
> >> hermit921
> >
> > I have never had any luck with shared IMAP accounts. Either someone
> > deletes something at the same time someone else deletes another email,
> > corrupting something, or no one ever cleans out the mailbox. Time limits
> > on the mailbox don't seem to work either.
> >
> > Without very firm controls over the individual email accounts, it just
> > becomes a nightmare.
> >
> > If anyone can suggest a solution, I'm ready to listen.
>
> Have you considered using the Maildir format (with maybe courier-imap)
> over mbox?? i have never seen any corruption to date (slowness yes,
> corruption no.. but thats more of a filesystem debate)
>
> - dhawal
Courier is an excellent suggestion, since you get less chance of
"complete corruption", but also because it supports "soft" quotas.
Dovecot will have these things too, but.... It's been a long while
where they've promised soft (or ndeed working soft or hard) quotas, so
... go with what works.
Courier imap also incorporates a good popd that work with Maildir...
Just a bonus (noted the SBS (Skit Bakom Spakarna ... loosely
translated to Sh*t Behind the Stick/Steeringwheel) problems that might
arise:-).

--
-- Glenn