OT: IMAP and POP3

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Mon Feb 20 20:18:59 GMT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Drew Marshall" <drew at themarshalls.co.uk>
To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2006 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: OT: IMAP and POP3

> On 18 Feb 2006, at 11:10, Glenn Steen wrote:
>>> Have you considered using the Maildir format (with maybe courier- imap)
>>> over mbox?? i have never seen any corruption to date (slowness yes,
>>> corruption no.. but thats more of a filesystem debate)
>>>
>>> - dhawal
>> Courier is an excellent suggestion, since you get less chance of
>> "complete corruption", but also because it supports "soft" quotas.
>> Dovecot will have these things too, but.... It's been a long while
>> where they've promised soft (or ndeed working soft or hard) quotas, so
>> ... go with what works.
>> Courier imap also incorporates a good popd that work with Maildir...
>> Just a bonus (noted the SBS (Skit Bakom Spakarna ... loosely
>> translated to Sh*t Behind the Stick/Steeringwheel) problems that might
>> arise:-).
>
> And indeed will do shared folders, auto removal of 'old' mail (Use  that a
> lot for people who can never throw anything away :-) Deleted  items are
> just that, as I tell my users. You get 7 days to change  your mind!) ,
> authenticate using LDAP, MySQL, amongst others and will  even sort of
> cluster.

The Dovecot website says shared folders aren't supported (although this
doesn't mean it won't work with shared folders). Are there any tricks to
making this happen? I think I saw where RedHat (actually Tao)  has the RPMs
on their distro, so it must be a direct replacement for their prior POP/IMAP
stuff.

Steve