Update problems with SQLBlackWhiteList.pm and MS

Dennis Willson taz at taz-mania.com
Tue Feb 7 23:12:52 GMT 2006

The timer is to cause a re-read of the data in the database. SQLBlackWhiteList.pm reads the data from the database and puts into
memory for use. The timer causes it to dump the old data and read in the new data. Also if MS stops and restarts it will cause
SQLBlackWhiteList.pm to re-read.

I got around this by writing my own SQLBlackWhiteList.pm that always goes directly to the database. I see no reduction in
performance (although if I ever reached 100% load there probably would be), It uses a lot less memory (SQLBlackWhiteList.pm uses one
"block" of memory for each entry in each list times the number of MS threads. Which means that if you have 100 entries in your
Black/White lists and 10 MS threads, you use 1000 memory blocks. The entire list is duplicated in memory for each MS thread). It
also allows for "instant" updates.

Dennis